Support at university

mental health and wellbeing is becoming more and more important for universities. There are lots of different types of support available, below we have put together an overview of what you could expect 



    Pretty much all universities offer face-to-face support on campus. This can range from campus security officers and resident wardens in student halls to mental health practitioners and counsellors. Please be aware that some support, such as counselling appointments, may have a waiting list.

    Most university support services are available during office hours only, although there often is some provision for 24-hour support, for example during term time.


    This might be therapeutic sessions led by a trained counsellor or they might be workshops led by other students. The sessions usually have a theme so that everyone who attends can share and learn from each other.


    Many universities have mentoring and/or buddy programmes, for example to help new students settle in to student life by pairing them up with a year 2 or year 3 student.


    Some universities offer online counselling, for example in the evenings or at weekends. This is usually provided by accredited counsellors external to the university.

    You can also join online support groups which are usually anonymous and provide a space to share experiences and help each other.


    Self-help resources can offer you information, tips and advice about a range of issues that affect your mental health and wellbeing. You can access these in your own time, any time, usually without having to register. The resources may point you in the direction of further support, both within your university and outside.


    There are several ways in which your phone can help you access support.

    You can call university support services (usually during office hours) or local and national charities (often 24/7 or out-of-hours). Your university website will have a list of local and national charities including their contact details.

    There are also charities, such as Shout, that offer a textline. If you are in distress you can text and someone will reply 24/7. You can text them on 85258.

    Finally, there are numerous apps available to download that help you look after your health and wellbeing. For example, SAM is an app which helps you manage social anxiety.


    You should make sure that you register with a GP surgery where you live during term time. This could be a local GP practice or it could be a health centre based at the university. Any support that the university offers is designed to complement the help that is available through the NHS, not replace it.


    Support services on campus are not an emergency service. If you or someone you know are in immediate danger, please contact the emergency services. If you or someone you know are in crisis or distressed you can also contact the Samaritans or the charity Papyrus.


Contact us